Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hair professionals please help?

Up until I was 12 I had beautiful long hair. At 12 I started highlighting it with an at home kit and it didnt do much damage, but in effort to get all the blonde off and start over I decided to get a pixie cut at the age of 13. My hair was 2 inches long. Because my hair was so short I decided to have fun with it for awhile and started bleaching it, then dying it and I did this over and over. Finally I started to grow it out but my natural hair didnt feel the same. Is it possible I damaged hair follicles? I got my hair cut and its about 1 inch past my shoulders, I'm trying to grow it out and get it natural again but the bottom is damaged, and my hair has a tint of orange/red when the dye fades which makes me want to dye it again. I have to straighten it every couple days so that it doesnt look like a big poof (because the bottom 4 or 5 inches is damaged and gives a poof look while the top is pretty straight).



What can I do to help my hair?!



Hair professionals please help?

No, it is not possible to damage your hair follicles by bleaching and coloring. Even this long after the fact, you may still have some of that damaged hair at the bottom, and the only way you can help that is to cut it off. I know you want to grow your hair out, but if you leave the damaged ends on, the damage does have the ability to travel up and start damaging your healthy hair. This will cause it to break off, and your hair will appear to not be growing at all!



Go to the salon and ask your hairstylist to tell you how much would have to come off to get rid of ALL the damaged ends. Even though you have a hard time telling where it ends and the good hair begins, she is trained to do so and she will be able to tell you exactly how much needs to come off. Of course, it's still your choice whether you cut off what she suggests, but if you don't it's just going to continue to look bad.



Another thing to consider is that you are at the age that you're going through puberty, and our natual hair can change drastically during this time. The color, the texture, the thickness/thinness, etc, all of that can change during puberty, extreme sickness/medications, pregnancy %26amp; breastfeeding, times of extreme stress, and menopause. So it's possible that your hair was changing, but you didn't really know it because you were busy bleaching and coloring your short hair. Now that it's grown out long, you are noticing changes in your hair. This is normal. However, you really won't know if you're seeing changes in your natural hair or if you're seeing old damage until you have the stylist get rid of all that old damaged hair.



Good Luck!



Hair professionals please help?

First off, you cannot damage your hair follicle with color, perm solution, relaxer etc. So the condtion could be many things, your diet etc. Try taking vitamins. And conditong treatments. This should help with the new growth of hair, and your current hair. As far as the orange redcolor, stay away from colors with Gold or warm..stay with a neutral or and ash. YOur best bet is to goto a salon. but i realize thats not an option for everyone. also, try a smoothing serum, like paul mitchell skinny for the "poofing problem" use it on the ends beofre you blowdry and jsut a small amout more on the ends when you flat iron..! good luck. Also about the Shades, Its a Redken product, I used to use it, and just a memo, the claim about the product is that its less damaging then other colors...and its very shiny. ITs so shiny because it contains a plastic polomer..coating the hair. Overtime it casues build-up. Regardless of what anyone says..it has plastic in it...not good for the hair. Wella makes realllllyyyyy great color.

No comments:

Post a Comment